Layout Design


Publication layout and design was my favorite to learn and execute both as a student and as a professional. I truly believe that copy editing and design are one in the same–critiquing how the way the eye follows a story and creating different ways to tell that story are both fascinating forms of art. On this page, one can find a bit of my style and voice in design–and hopefully how it can also translate into my (aesthetic) web/layout design.


Below are examples of online publication designs–websites/email, web-based newsletters.

finblah1
The design above is a welcome email that was designed for the Xbox Ambassadors Program, under Microsoft Corporation. You can find out more about the program here. The images used were originally created by Sarah “Chip” Nixon for the website. We re-appropriated the header images in Photoshop CSS to create the header seen at the top and the three images in the middle, divided to link to the different sections of the Xbox Ambassadors website. The coding was done from scratch, and manipulated using Litmus.com and Visual Studio. The example provided here is the most basic, final draft. The only changes that were made were a slightly separate image for the Xbox Ambassadors logo at the bottom and a few typos that were fixed by the platform owner, Ivory Harvey, when she edited the copy later. In the slideshow below you will find every incarnation of the welcome email as designed by me.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

e3ba208f-ddc0-4cac-bcab-c73ce01dfb74_zpsaeb5ffbc[1]
This is a weekly newsletter designed for a now-retired Ravenclaw (Harry Potter) fan-site. The website was a community forum that I created and ran as admin. The newsletter’s images were designed by me and the content was edited each week by me. The newsletter went out to the 50+ members on the website every week via email. It kept users up to date with the most recent news on the site, threads in the forums, and what is trending in the Harry Potter universe.

This is my senior seminar project, designed using Adobe Indesign CS6. The assignment was to create an 8-page publication under a list of guidelines that followed a chosen thesis/topic. I decided to show not just how journalism is changing from print to multimedia, but how Millennials studying and entering the field can help make the transition a success. We live and breathe multimedia as those born into the internet age. The idea came to me after I spent the summer prior at MSCNE13 (Management Seminar for College News Editors, 2013) in Athens, Ga. I designed the entire project from scratch, curating photos, sources/quotes. I interviewed each source, wrote each piece. Designed the entire project, did all of the graphics editing and copy-editing. The final piece was submitted to my adviser, Dr. Patricia Miller, and my seminar professor/adviser, Dr. Donna Sewell.

Below is a design internship I held during the summer of 2012, designing from scratch VSU’s undergraduate research journal Omnino using Adobe Indesign CS6. The pieces were given to me after they were peer reviewed by the university organization, and I created the book that was eventually printed and given out to the campus/contributors.

As well as the two larger projects above, as editor for the independent, student newspaper The Spectator, part of our jobs was to copy-edit and design a weekly newspaper. Below are two examples of broadsheet I designed during my time as Managing Editor and Editor-in-Chiefall designed using QuarkXpress 9. (You can find more issues linked below these examples.)

This one was one of my favorite pages designed as Editor-in-Chief:

1024124This page was designed when I was Managing Editor, and it was my first front page design. Hopefully showing both will give some idea into how I evolved over my schooling in broadsheet design.

484923Other issues of The Spectator of which I designed the front page and lead the rest of the staff to do:

11.21.13 | 11.14.13 | 11.7.13 | 10.31.13 | 10.17.13 | 10.3.13 | 9.26.13 | 9.12.13 | 8.29.13 | 8.22.13

Along with my work as editor, the previous Editor-in-Chief and I both helped edit and craft a new stylebook for our publication. And during my time as EIC, I worked to help push out the mobile app and set the bar for new changes on the website. These changes and upgrades were implemented a couple of semesters later–likely carried out by the great minds of the newest editorial staff that followed.